X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    From his post I took that he is career union at one department and works part time for another.
    Right, and my point was that working PT as a FF in and of itself may not be an issue (IAFF wise) if doing so at a non-union department, but could very well be an issue if working at another IAFF Local's department as a non-union PT FF.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    All depends on where you work part-time.
    From his post I took that he is career union at one department and works part time for another.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    And what about folks like myself who are career IAFF, and then work PT as a ff? Any issues with that??
    All depends on where you work part-time.

Leave a comment:

• JTFIRE80
    replied
    And what about folks like myself who are career IAFF, and then work PT as a ff? Any issues with that??

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    It's been done and, apparently, it's not even that uncommon. I don't know how the IAFF in particular feels about it, however.

(The first time I ran aross it was when my sister took a part-time job at a retail chain store. The union served as the bargaining unit for all employees -- part-time and full-time -- but part-timers weren't eligible to join the union. They were also required to pay an agency fee to the union.)
    Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by kyhunter42 View Post
    I know a couple of guys pay the dues without belonging to the Union.
    That's not really "dues" but what's usually referred to an an "agency fee." It's limited to covering costs directly associated with negotiating the contract, handling grievances, etc.

Leave a comment:

• kyhunter42
    replied
    I know of a couple of career departments that don't require membership in the Union, but they do require non-union members to pay dues in order to work under contract. I know a couple of guys pay the dues without belonging to the Union.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I'm not so sure you can make that distinction. I don't think you can include an employee classification in the bargaining unit, but deny them membership in the Union that represents that bargaining unit.
    It's been done and, apparently, it's not even that uncommon. I don't know how the IAFF in particular feels about it, however.

(The first time I ran aross it was when my sister took a part-time job at a retail chain store. The union served as the bargaining unit for all employees -- part-time and full-time -- but part-timers weren't eligible to join the union. They were also required to pay an agency fee to the union.)

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The only benefit would be to be recognized as the bargaining unit for all employees -- part-time and full-time -- but only having full timers as actual members of the Union.
    I'm not so sure you can make that distinction. I don't think you can include an employee classification in the bargaining unit, but deny them membership in the Union that represents that bargaining unit.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by peak85 View Post
    Any benefits of having the part time FF’s in the Union?
    Yes. When part-time FF's were added into my department, we made sure that they were included in the bargaining unit and Union.

PM me if you have questions.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by peak85 View Post
    The only benefit would be to be recognized as the bargaining unit for all employees -- part-time and full-time -- but only having full timers as actual members of the Union.

Leave a comment:

• Adenosine
    replied
    Not unless the rest of you want to be part time too.

Leave a comment:

• peak85
    started a topic Part Timers

Part Timers

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X