Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFPA Live Burn requirement

Hey-
    I'm looking to find out if there is a requirement by NFPA that all career firefighters participate in an annual live burn. If so could anyone cite the standard/section. Thanks!

Originally posted by FD70 SS View Post
    Hey-
    I'm looking to find out if there is a requirement by NFPA that all career firefighters participate in an annual live burn. If so could anyone cite the standard/section. Thanks!
    Hope this helps:

NFPA 1403: Standard on Live Fire Training Evolutions

Here is the link,

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab...sp?DocNum=1403

just click on View the document online (read only)

Check with your State Fire School or Fire Marshal concerning Firefighter I.

Some States do not require it, but it is a part of

NFPA 1001: Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab...sp?DocNum=1001
    Last edited by PaladinKnight; 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by FD70 SS View Post
      Hey-
      To the best of my knowledge, NFPA standards contain no such requirement. The relevant professional standards for firefighter certification don't contain requirements for annual re/training.

You might want to look into OSHA requirements (29 CFR 1910.156, if memory serves). They don't require an "annual live burn" per se but they do require appropriate training at least annually.
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I need to amend my statement.

I missed the 'annual' in your question. I have never seen anywhere require annual live burn. Once you have done it and pass FFI, you are done. It is assumed that you will work or see more fires in the future, and each is a learning experience.

I have agree with DM on the annual hours of training required. These are considered continuing education, although not called that. Some are specific to jurisdiction, some to States, some to meet ISO.

In our State, each firefighter must receive 100 hours of training each year, which is broken down to various disciplines; hose & streams, water supply, tactics, communications, EVOC, and others. In our case, we offset those hours with the hours required by ISO to maintain our PPC. That translates into Dept training, Company Drills, Night Drills and Multi-company Drills. We adjust the two to cover both requirements.

Hope this helps.
          HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...