Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how often are you required ro replace turnour gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Now bear in mind that even though NFPA 1851 states that the gear should be replaced after ten years, it's quite possible that you realistically can't get it to last that long as front-line gear.

In my department, even as a small career department, we had a hard time getting our previous brand to last 4 years. We switched brands and are getting more than that out of the new stuff, but a number of our sets won't make it to 10 years of front-line service.

We were fortunate enough to get our City to agree to a gear replacement schedule in our last contract negotiations. Everybody will have 2 sets of TOG and will get a new set every 4 years and retire their "back up" set at 8 years.

We still have to see if they'll live up to the agreement on their own, but at least we have it in writing.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• resinofirefamily1993
    replied
    i spent a long time reading trying to help with my firedepartment to get our budget up for replacing our old gear. and it almost seemed like giberish after a long time of sitting and reading

Leave a comment:

• zzyyzx
    replied
    No prob. NFPA can be quite the cumbersome documents sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• resinofirefamily1993
    replied
    thank you vary much i have read threw a stack of pappers all the NFPA i must have overlooked it thank you vary much!!!

Leave a comment:

• zzyyzx
    replied
    NFPA 1851 - 2008 edtn, CH 10.1.2 (page 22):
    Structural fire fighting ensembles and ensemble elements shall be retired in accordance with 10.2.1, no more than 10 years from the date the ensembles or ensemble elements were manufactured.

The whole section deals with the "standard" for replacement.

Leave a comment:

• how often are you required ro replace turnour gear?

At my department we know that it is somewears around ten years you replace your turnout gear. Now does anyone know exactly where it says such in the NFPA. we need the exact page and prodedure number for budgeting reasons. if you could help with this i would be greatful to all of you. thanks all.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X