Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how often are you required ro replace turnour gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often are you required ro replace turnour gear?

At my department we know that it is somewears around ten years you replace your turnout gear. Now does anyone know exactly where it says such in the NFPA. we need the exact page and prodedure number for budgeting reasons. if you could help with this i would be greatful to all of you. thanks all.

NFPA 1851 - 2008 edtn, CH 10.1.2 (page 22):
    Structural fire fighting ensembles and ensemble elements shall be retired in accordance with 10.2.1, no more than 10 years from the date the ensembles or ensemble elements were manufactured.

The whole section deals with the "standard" for replacement.

Comment

thank you vary much i have read threw a stack of pappers all the NFPA i must have overlooked it thank you vary much!!!

Comment

No prob. NFPA can be quite the cumbersome documents sometimes.

Comment

i spent a long time reading trying to help with my firedepartment to get our budget up for replacing our old gear. and it almost seemed like giberish after a long time of sitting and reading

Comment

Now bear in mind that even though NFPA 1851 states that the gear should be replaced after ten years, it's quite possible that you realistically can't get it to last that long as front-line gear.

In my department, even as a small career department, we had a hard time getting our previous brand to last 4 years. We switched brands and are getting more than that out of the new stuff, but a number of our sets won't make it to 10 years of front-line service.

We were fortunate enough to get our City to agree to a gear replacement schedule in our last contract negotiations. Everybody will have 2 sets of TOG and will get a new set every 4 years and retire their "back up" set at 8 years.

We still have to see if they'll live up to the agreement on their own, but at least we have it in writing.

Good luck.

Comment

Most definitely agree with FM. Make sure to read the paragraphs around the one I referenced. They mention about replacing the gear earlier if it is no longer serviceable. Also, if you go to the NFPA's webiste you can view 1851 online for free. Check the TOC. I believe there is a whole section that relates to what makes gear no longer serviceable.

That's a pretty awesome contract you have to get your gear replaced that often. We get ours replaced every 6th year (unless otherwise needed earlier). And we only have one set. Granted, each crew only averages a "good" working fire once a month maybe and then a few MVAs each month, so our gear usually gets more wear and tear from training than actual use.

Comment

Ours is replaced every 5 years, and the only folks with 2 sets are the ones of us that doing all of the live-burn training.
                Career Fire Captain
                Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

thankyou all for the comments, i have sent the information to the top of the todem poll and they say its what they need. once again thankyou all

Comment

Originally posted by zzyyzx View Post
                    That's a pretty awesome contract you have to get your gear replaced that often. We get ours replaced every 6th year (unless otherwise needed earlier). And we only have one set. Granted, each crew only averages a "good" working fire once a month maybe and then a few MVAs each month, so our gear usually gets more wear and tear from training than actual use.
                    Yeah, we thought that too.

They more or less owe us the second set by the end of the year. We'll see how it works out. We have FIRE Act money to cover 1/2 of it right now.

Comment

Gear replacement should not be based on time. It breaks down everytime it gets dirty, is in direct sunlight, ect. You should have it inspected annually by an approved company that test gear. I understand that there is cost but just do 5 sets to show the city that it may need to be replaced sooner for your personel safety.

Comment

We've been trying to get a second set since the late 80's. Nothing. We're lucky they give us two pairs of gloves.
                        It gets replaced when it rots off our azz. And even then it's generally not new. It's recycled from another person that was sent out to be cleaned.

Comment

Our division of training inspects our gear annually for wear and tear, any item not up to snuff is replaced. We get full sets every 4-5 years regardless. This is mostly thanks to a persistent health and safety committee and a mayor who doesnt hate our guts.

Comment

In a past department, I change the TOG replacement policy to a rotating system. Each company/platoon is on their own time line.

Each new member is issued one set upon entering the service. At the end of the 2nd year, they receive an additional set, assuming that the original is still worthy. Nevertheless, they have two sets that are changed out every two years. It took 18 months to change to this system and covering about 125 personnel.

When a set is damaged, the Company Officer is advised, who in-turn advises the Equipment Officer. The goal is to replace unworthy equipment within 6 to 8 weeks. Our PPE was not a off the shelf model.

The only issue with this system is the number of sets purchased at one time. We bid the PPE, and state the replacement policy in the terms of award. The price does not fluctuate within 12 calendar months, or in-between cycles. The PPE is automatically re-bid every 10th month as per our policy. Approximately 60 to 65 sets are replaced every year at that department. More if a few are in need of replacing. The most any year was 75. I have been advised that they will only replace about 50 this cycle due to 14 sets being retired earlier in the last budget year.

It is common to change MFG in the process, since some eventually do not like the replacement factor off the schedule. The focus should be about the total number annually, and not the total number at a single time. But a few want to make all of their money at once.

This system makes it bit easier to plan in the budget. It is not as likley to get lined-out in the budget review each year when the headhunters are trying to cut numbers.
                            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Replacing gear is just fine and dandy, as long as you need to. Having a blanket statement for gear replacement service wide is about the craziest thing I have ever heard. There is no way a department who sees 2 structure fires a year will need to replace gear as much as one who sees 2 structure fires a shift. If it doesn't get dirty, it doesn't get washed. If it never gets pulled out of the toolbox in the back of the POV except for training, it sees no sunlight. Gear that sees 1 or 2 live traning burns a year plus the occasional working job should have no problem making it to 10 years. Gear that gets damaged gets inspected and if need be retired.

This same principle applies to the world of Level A hazmat suits. A certain manufacterer will give you a life span of a PLASTIC suit. When the date rolls around, regardless of level of use, the suit is rotated to training use only and you have to buy new front line suits. Another manufacterer says that is crazy and as long as a suit passes a pressure test annualy it stays in front line service. More so, if you never pull the suit out of the packaging, it STAYS in the packaging until you need it. Testing a brand new suit is crazy- it is BRAND NEW. Has the second comapany's sales gone down a little since coming out with this policy? Maybe. But I would buy from them any day before the first company simply becuase they are a stand up company that tells it like it is.

The 10 year replacement rule does nothing but look out for the best interest of manufacterers, not firefighters and fire departments. If you think anything else than that, open your eyes.
                              Career Firefighter
                              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X