No announcement yet.

Building construction book or webpage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building construction book or webpage?

Hey everyone,

Well going through the academy and have decided building construction is defintely a weakness. Does anyone know of any web page or a good book that i can use to better myself on this subject?

Thanks.

Fire Construction

Check out Francis L. Brannigan's book - Building Construction for the Fire Service, a very thorough and detailed work for the new probie to the old
    Crusty type.

Get Busy Living OR Get Busy Dying! The aforementioned statement is determined by the Pertinent and Amount of Training one receives!!!

Comment

I agree with you that building construction is something that needs to be given more training.

At our academy, our book barely touched on the subject, but our instructor knew how important the subject was, so we spent quite a while on it. He took us out around town and show us all the different types of buildings, and we walked through some buildings that were still in the construction phase.

-------------------

Brady Lewis
      President
      Spanish 4 Emergencies.com
      Spanish Language Training for Fire, EMS and Dispatchers
      Get Local Online Coupons

Comment

Building construction is one of THE most important things a fire officer should know. I agree on the Branigan referral. I also like the book Collapse of Burning buildings. It's an east coast based book. Many of the construction types are not present on the west coast, but the ones that did apply were absolutely terrific.
        John Mittendorf (LAFD retired) also has some good information on building construction.

Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief
        www.aspiringfirefighters.com
        Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief

Comment

I first studied the Brannigan book 20 years ago, when he was the only voice trying to call our attention to the threats of buildings on fire. To Brannigan, fire is not the enemy - the building is the enemy.

We recently adopted the IFSTA Building Construction Related to the Fire Service as promotional reading material, and I think the book is excellent. It's more condensed and "to the point" where Brannigan has a tendency to ramble (and I don't mean any disrespect).

The National Fire Academy published a series of building construction books, but like their hazmat and MCTO were not an exciting read.

I currently teach building construction as part of a company officer orientation, and use the Brannigan and IFSTA books. I couldn't pick one over the other.

Comment

http://firetrainingresources.org/osb...cfm?Category=0

Comment

Read the Brannigan book and then get out in your jurisdiction and see what's there.

Brannigan's articles from Fire Engineering have many excellent photos of construction hazards that might easily be overlooked.
              ullrichk
              a.k.a.
              perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Building Construction

Vincent Dunn's Collapse of Burning Buildings, it;s an easy read. He starts out each chapter with a story, then relates the story to the type of construction that he is talking about, he has other great books also. check him out

www.vincentdunn.com

ps he's a retired FDNY chief

Comment

Originally posted by dfiremedic15 View Post
                  Vincent Dunn's Collapse of Burning Buildings
                  x1000. And hes a nice guy too!
                  To Persist is to Conquer.

Comment

I agree with all of the above about Collapse of Burning Buildings and about Vincent Dunn. It's a great book AND he is an awesome, and approachable guy.

The only down side of the book is that it addresses East Coast building construction.
                    Paul Lepore
                    Battalion Chief

Comment

Originally posted by BCLepore View Post
                      I agree with all of the above about Collapse of Burning Buildings and about Vincent Dunn. It's a great book AND he is an awesome, and approachable guy.

The only down side of the book is that it addresses East Coast building construction.
                      If you ever have the chance to attend one of Chief Dunn's seminars it'll be the best money you've ever spent! I've read several of his book for my FD's promotional process and I've enjoyed every page of them. Chief Dunn posseses a "command presence" that is evident when you meet him but don't let that intimidate you. He is the most approachable, down to earth chief I have ever met. You'll enjoy every second of his seminars or books. He's a line firefighter in a white shirt.
                      rjtoc2

Career Firefighter
                      IAFF member
                      Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X