Oral Resume for Lt Promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Resume for Lt Promotion

Anyone have any ideas for a promotional oral resume?

The format that has worked well for me in the past is an intro, 3 talking points and a conclusion. The intro usually gives my demographics and lists the 3 talking points. Then I spend time on the talking points (education, experience and certifications.) The conclusion wraps things up and ties everythings into why I am right for the job.

I was planning on trying somethings a little more exciting this time, but I want to hear what you have to say!

Cheers- Swarm
    "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

Oral Resumes

First establish your resume using this sample format: http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

An oral resume is really the answer to the question what have you done to prepare for the position. It's your resume verbally. Start out with your education (keep it in chronological order), and then experience, any volunteer work you have done in your life and any projects you can attach your name to. Make it sound exciting.

Nothing more. Nothing less. Practice with a tape recorder to get your timing, inflection, take out pause fillers like an, um etc, until it comes out of your mouth the way you want the panel to hear it.

This is all about presentation skills! Try not to stand behind a lectern. Be out in front with the panel.

Remember this. Nothing can replace the power of your words! Nothing! Keep it simple. Too many candidates will try to pull something off, get delayed and get time called on them just as they were getting to their best stuff.

More on promotional tips here: http://www.eatstress.com/promo.htm

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Thanks Capt Bob-

I have purchased your stuff in the past, and it has been really helpful.

Our oral resume is only allowed to be about 5 minutes. I know the other candidates well. I know several areas where my resume (college degree, experience and awards) far exceed theirs. Many of these areas are great strengths and show that I have leadership experience. Should I focus MORE on these areas knowing that they won't be able to articulate the same level of experience.

Thanks
      "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

Comment

Psyching yourself out?

Originally posted by swarmy View Post
        Should I focus MORE on these areas knowing that they won't be able to articulate the same level of experience.
        How many badges are you looking for? . . . . . One, right? Then don’t start psyching yourself out concerning the other candidates. That’s mental masturbation

Five minutes will fly by and you won't have enough time to deliver a stand up dog and pony show. Too many candidates try to intellectualize the process. They try to give us a blue print when we just need a sketch. Try to give us a dump truck when we just need a trailer.

This is all about presentation skills! Just presenting your credentials in the format in the posting above will set the base line that will establish a high standard the raters will recognize and the other candidates won’t be able to cross.

There is only one person who is keep you from getting a badge. Who do you think it is?

Let me know if I can help further.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
        http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Thanks for your input.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X