written promotional test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTJAKE View Post
    Should you include your years of experience as a volunteer if asked to tell them about yourself? If you volunteered for 5 years prior, should you add this to your total years in the fire service or just years on the job?
    If you have 5 vol. and 10 on the job should you say you have 15 years in the fire service and move on without going into detail?
    CTJAKE Now you're going for all the marbles!

First of all the "Tell us a little about yourself" is just an ice breaker question to get you comfortable in the chair. This question is generally not scored or used in a promotional test. A one minute or less answer about you and your hobbies is all that is needed here. A "Nugget" here: If they look baffled after your short answer, ask if they want more. They usually won't.

Most candidates make a big error on this question by dumping the whole load on why they want to be an officer, what they have done to prepare and on and on. That's not what this question is about. It's only to get you comfortable in the chair. Then, when the panel starts asking why they want to be an officer, what have they done to prepare and the other possible oral board questions above, they have to reiterate what they have already said. They lose valuable time and points here.

To answer your question about your total time in service should be used for your answer that can be asked in several different ways, i.e. “What have you done to prepare for the position”, “Why do you think you should be and officer”, “What do you think qualifies you to be an officer”. They’re all the same question.

You can structure your answer starting with your education (keep it in chronological order), then experience in order including you volunteer time, any volunteer work you have done in your life and any projects you can attach your name to. Practice all your answers with a recorder to hear what the panel will hear out of your mouth. Make it sound exciting.

A question I'm often asked:

If you're going to a promotional interview, and you already know the guys there, do you have to go through all this preparation and auditioning stuff?

Reply: The biggest mistake, job interview candidates make in this situation is when they know people on the panel, they don't think they need to do all the work. They figure everybody already knows about them, and they don't have to say anything. Or, "It's on my resume, it's on my application, I don't have to say everything." If it doesn't come out of that slot between your nose and your chin (your mouth), you don't get credit. You might as well have never have shown up. This is how important it is to be auditioning for the part. You play your part no matter who's sitting there.

I can't tell you how many times I've talked to promotional candidates from departments they've waited for years trying for that golden opportunity to get their next badge then they've blown it. Because they went in and saw Paul was on the board. He knows Paul, they bowl. Randy over there, why he's married to Randy's cousin. My gosh, he knows everything about me. They come out, and somebody else gets their badge! It devastates them. They failed because they didn't present the package. The other candidates did. It's show time, ta dah. You have to bring out the top hat, the cane, step it out, and give the board the complete show. It's you! It's the bright lights. It's Broadway! You gotta make it happen. You gotta make the magic.

When I said this at a recent firefighters convention, Dan shared the following:

...I went through exactly through what he's talking about, at a promotion in my department for this position of lieutenant. I knew all the people on the board including a division chief. I was thinking, "Geez, I've known these guys for 16 years. And, I don't have to say anything, they know me." During my critique afterwards, the division chief said, "You know, Dan, you've got so much going for you, but you didn't blow your own horn." If you would have blown your own horn, you would have said all the things that you got going for you, you'd have had it. Since you didn't say a word, and I can't give you the badge." If you don't say it, you don't get credit for it, period.

The defense rests.

More on promotional testing here: http://www.eatstress.com/promo.htm
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-01-2007, 01:37 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Is there such a thing as overstudying? What recommendations before the day of the written test?

Comment

Originally posted by CTJAKE View Post
        Is there such a thing as overstudying? What recommendations before the day of the written test?
        The night before your test: STOP. If you don’t have what you need by then, you never will. If you start trying to turn yourself inside out now, it will be counter productive. Get some exercise; watch a movie or anything else that would redirect your mind.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
        http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Thanks for the help.
          We'll see what happens on Wed.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola