What is “too early” to promote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is “too early” to promote?

Does it matter? How many years, how many fires? I know the canned answer is that it shouldn’t matter to anyone but me, but we all know how firemen are… so let’s hear it. What do YOU think is the right time to take a promotional test?

Put some time in. Depending on how busy your FD is 5 years may be enough.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

As soon as you are eligible.
      I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

It will completely depend on the person. Some people are born with more common sense and leadership abilities than others. For them, advancement can happen as soon as eligible. Others may never get there.

The real answer is when the person has achieved enough experience in the department, knowledge, and leadership skill to advance to the next level. Position can be a source of pride, but if it is how you intend on measuring yourself, you are not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
          ....common sense and leadership abilities than others. For them, advancement can happen as soon as eligible. Others may never get there.
          In my old department that worked to the rank of Captain. Above that level the process became subjective to the whims of the department's leadership. Many of the "great guys" were promoted far above their ability.

I would tell the younger members when they were new. Try not to be too disappointed when you realize promotions rarely have anything to do with ability or effectiveness.
          I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X