Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Suggestions for mom of a volunteer who wants to become a career?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for mom of a volunteer who wants to become a career?

Hi everyone-thank you in advance for any suggestions you can give me. I have a 21 year old son who just got national certification as an EMT and is also a trained volunteer firefighter after taking a few courses at college. He wants to apply to the fire academy as well and become a career, but so far he's running into problems with just getting shifts to keep up his training. As a mom who has never had any experience with firefighting or other emergency services OR the military or anything else with a hierarchical structure, I'm not sure what is the best way for him to get this experience. In the working world, we could ask for a meeting with a supervisor and explain that we really enjoy the job and are looking for additional tasks or challenges or whatever. But the way signing up for shifts goes (from what he tells me) it's a lot more complicated. Like there have to be a certain number of volunteers signed up in order to even field a team for a shift or something. So when I suggest to him that he talk with one of the more senior people at the station, he tells me it doesn't work that way, they can't magically make more shifts available, etc. Of course part of it is just this generation's reluctance to actually talk to people face to face, which I get. But that's an important skill to have anyway, right?

I just want the kid to (a) be able to do meaningful work, (b) keep up the skills he learned and is enjoying doing and (c) become comfortable with the structure of the emergency services setting as a job. He's telling me he literally cannot find shifts to sign up for at the station he belongs to, and I'm thinking that there must be some way for him to get experience somehow (other than going to another station, which he tells me you can only do if you're currently in a class) or learn from a discussion with someone what the options are.

I welcome any suggestions you might have!

Sincerely,

~Trying not to be a helicopter parent

So has he tested for any career departments??

Is he only foucused on a couple departments??

His concentration should be getting into the best physical state he can,

Plus, also mental/ interview shape.

What state are you in?????

Great site for more info:::

https://eatstress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
      So has he tested for any career departments??

Is he only foucused on a couple departments??

His concentration should be getting into the best physical state he can,

Plus, also mental/ interview shape.

What state are you in?????

Great site for more info:::

https://eatstress.com/
      Thanks, these questions and the website are very helpful!

He applied for the career academy - well I should say tried to apply; apparently the website is set up so that the first time you click "submit" on your application, the process is not complete and you need to return to another page and actually submit it for the specific job. But he plans to apply for the academy the next time they have an opening, probably in the fall.

Right now he's definitely focusing on physical shape--he's been bodybuilding for a few years and is now working with a trainer on cardio. My understanding is (and again, this is part of the problem-I don't understand!) that he has joined one company as a volunteer and it's frowned upon/not allowed to ride with any other companies. We are in Maryland, and he tells me that if he were still in his college class he could ride with a Baltimore company and get a lot of experience. But he also tells me this isn't permitted, which sounds weird.

The thing about getting into mental/interview shape seems like a great idea. He could definitely stand to work on that. I like the idea on the website you linked about working on your presentation - sounding enthusiastic and telling a story, for example. I'll definitely recommend that to him.

One more question--even if he can't ride, it seems to me he could be volunteering to learn the ropes of the station/equipment and getting to know the station members. I read that it's part of becoming a firefighter/EMT to learn all of the different roles and tasks, like inventory, maintenance, etc. Is it a pain to have novice volunteers hanging out counting and cleaning, or is that actually useful?

Thanks again!

Comment

Yes it is best to learn the basics and learn them well

Including how to run a mop.

My normal advice is to test everywhere and anywhere. Might throw DC in there???
        I no nothing about Maryland, even though I have been to Emmitsburg a few times. So not sure the requirements. I do know back east some cities have residency requirements, so check into that.

Not sure where you are at, but highly suggest looking at testing in the states around you.

Check different dept web sites, and see what the requirements are just to apply, if he needs something else get it. Some let you put job interest cards in, so they alert you when they start taking applications.

He can get hired somewhere, but a few years in, if he does not like it, start testing again.

Never been a volunteer but I think it is correct they like you to stick to one dept.

As far as volunteering, sometimes it looks good, I have read of people getting bad mouthed even though they do good, on background checks,,
        Plus normally the dept he gets hired on has some sort of academy on how they want things done, and sometimes it is hard to break habits learned.

You all might just visit a few city depts set down ask questions and get some insight

Comment

He needs to apply at multiple career departments. Anywhere within a couple of hours of his residence. If not further. Many career departments will put him through their own academy and certify him there. Aside from EMT it may not be necessary to get certifications. Or even experience. The bigger departments don't seem to care what you've done before.
          If he wants more experience can he leave the current volunteer department and volunteer somewhere with more opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleCC View Post
            ~Trying not to be a helicopter parent
            Uhhhhhhhhhhh, oh.....never mind.

If he is only 21, he has a way to go before he will get hired. The competition for career spots in and around Maryland is fierce- as in Gladiators battling to the death fierce. I highly suggest that Junior consider enlisting in any branch of the Military and doing four years. Learn a trade, any trade except firefighting. Learn welding, pipe fitting, machining, diesel engine repair or any of a number of other trades. This will ensure he has a job to fall back on when he exits the Military and has something to do while he tests and waits for a career spot. When he gets out, start taking every civil service exam that comes down the pike- fire, cop, sanitation, dog catcher.....it's all good civil service testing experience. And having an honorable discharge will net him 10 extra points on most civil service exams.

Some other points:
            -Most big city career depts on the east coast dont give two flying rats posteriors about certs, college credits or prior experience, you are not a firefighter until you go through and pass their fire academy and then your one year's worth of post-academy probation.

-Yes volunteer experience can be helpful. If he really and truly wants to get some under his belt, go join a shop in Prince George's County. Many have live-in programs and depending on the house you can and will see a ton of work. However see above, it doesnt count when you get to Big City Fire Dept Training Academy.

"Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

if he wants to move where it is warmer and cheaper to live:::

https://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Comment

If he wants to get a job, he needs to take the tests. sign up to test for every county department in maryland, DC, and northern virginia. most don't care about your experience, as you will still need to go through their academy.

Volunteering is great, however most don't care about experience; it all depends on how you do on all the tests. and get your paramedic, it will increase the changes of getting hired. but if you aren't the most active volunteer, most departments won't care.

There is a lot of competition, so don't be surprised if you get turned down, so keep trying.

Biggest thing is he needs to do the work. you can't help do it for him, he needs to to the research and do the work himself. this includes asking for assistance on how to handle situations, and how best to move into a career position.
                If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse