Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Returning to your old department

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to your old department

I need advice! Background: I worked for a large county dept in MD for almost three years. It was great, I worked my way up to engineer in a little over two years, I had my dream job! My wife and I are originally from FL and decided on a whim to move back here to start a family and be closer to ours. She also left a great career behind.

Now here is where my dilemma starts. FL doesn't recognize any of my prior training, nothing at all. I was able to get state certified and EMT and got picked up by a dept here. The dept is small and there isn't much room to move up. On average it takes 3 years to test and about 6+ to promote to engineer. I am very frustrated by all of this and have basically worked my self into an unhappy mindset although I do like my crew. At this point I do have an opportunity to return to my old dept at the same rank and continue on with my career there. What is holding me back is the thought of leaving family again and possibility that it won't be the same the second time around.

Has anyone ever regretted switching depts and starting over? Anyone ever return to their old dept? Any advice at all is appreciated.

Leaving your extended family??

How about since you are fla certified now, start testing for other Fla departments???

What does your wife think about going back to MD???

Comment

I have been with no luck. The wife has a very specific area she wants to be near. She is up for going back, but concerned that we'll want to leave again. It's hard to imagine 20 plus years up there.

My offer to go back expires soon so I don't have much time to find anything else here. I'd hate to go back and find myself looking for greener pastures.

Comment

The wife has a very specific area she wants to be near.

in fla???

If so maybe a commute dept, near where you live or want to live??

Sounds like fla is your home

Comment

Probably so. The only reason for going back is so I can be an engineer again. We liked it when we were there but we DID leave.

it's hard adjusting and giving up a position like that.

Comment

Like I said sounds like Fla is your home.

Look at other depts. in a reasonable driving time, and start applying at some point.

Since you are not working five days a week a 60 minute or a little more is not bad.

Comment

So it's probably not a good idea to go try it again up there?

Comment

Sounds like the majority of the family wants to stay in Florida?

If so than, seems like need to go to plan B.

As far as going back, I do not see a problem with it.

Comment

Well it's just the two of us. We have our parents here who support whatever we want to do. We moved back to start our family here.

like I mentioned, I have worked myself into an unhappy mindset here. The only option I can see at this point is to suck it up and change my mindset or just go back. I haven't been able to pull the trigger on going back tho.

Comment

So why not other depts. in FLA?

Comment

Bc it's slim pickings here. Plus Id have to start over again.

Comment

You left, suck it up! I dont mean to sound snippy but you are all over the place! From someone who has volunteered, been career, still volunteer, work part time in EMS and full time as an RN its only a job. In the end the guys are clawing at the door to retire..........they retire and go get another job because it isnt enough money and they are bored. Stay close to family, once they pass you cannot get time with them back at all!!!
                        I may be wrong but t seems that you dont like being at the bottom of the ladder, being an engineer is great but so what?? There is a reason you left this great job and advancement to go back to FL, now you need to accept it. get some experience and look for a lateral transfer to another dept when you find the right place. Just 2 cents from and old guy that made mistakes and learned from them.

Comment

Might sound silly or crazy but what is your department's trade time and work schedule like? If you have the option why don't you work with someone on trading time to maximize both of your issues. Living in FL and then commuting to work in MD? Crazy I know, but I've heard of a few in the area I work in do it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaserD View Post
                            You left, suck it up! I dont mean to sound snippy but you are all over the place! From someone who has volunteered, been career, still volunteer, work part time in EMS and full time as an RN its only a job. In the end the guys are clawing at the door to retire..........they retire and go get another job because it isnt enough money and they are bored. Stay close to family, once they pass you cannot get time with them back at all!!!
                            I may be wrong but t seems that you dont like being at the bottom of the ladder, being an engineer is great but so what?? There is a reason you left this great job and advancement to go back to FL, now you need to accept it. get some experience and look for a lateral transfer to another dept when you find the right place. Just 2 cents from and old guy that made mistakes and learned from them.
                            I agree. You've already made the decision. Why make it again? The only downside appears to be that you won't be an engineer for a while. Big deal! That is not worth leaving what does appear to the place you both consider home.
                            Time flies. Enjoy your family. Raise your kids. You will be an engineer again in the blink of an eye.

Comment

I appreciate all the replies and advice. That is the only real downside other than money is better up north for both my wife and I. Might just move to the beach and suck up the work issues.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90