Do i have to go to school to be a career ff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i have to go to school to be a career ff

like it says up there, im volunteer now and want to make a career out of it but do i have to get my FF1 and 2 before i have a chance?

Knock on the nearest career dept and ask the question

It varies between cities and states
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

alright will do

Comment

You probably can find a career dept that does not require FF1 and FF2 to get hired. But you're going to be at a big disadvantage. Its very competitive and you will need to have something to set yourself apart in an interview. In all reality, people with a little bit of volunteer experience and little to no school are a dime a dozen in entrance exams for career departments. Our department just hired 17. 10 of them were paramedics. All of them had either some college level education or FF1. I think 10 had bachelor's degrees.
        Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Comment

It all depends on the Municipality. The City of Philadelphia Fire Department has zero, I repeat ZERO requirements for hiring. In fact, they would much rather you had ZERO prior experience or training, so that they can train you THEIR way. NO preference is given to those with prior firefighting experience.

Same goes for many east-coast city departments: FDNY, Boston, Baltimore, DC, etc etc....
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            Same goes for many east-coast city departments: FDNY, Boston, Baltimore, DC, etc etc....
            Our department as well. I'd guess than less than 40% of our recruits have any previous experience.
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
              Our department as well. I'd guess than less than 40% of our recruits have any previous experience.
              As BoxAalrm and myself have been assigned at one time or another to the training division in our separate departments, I for myself, preferred that you didn't have any experience. That way when I was instructing the class I didn't have a sharpshooter, saying well, we did it this way in X County or we like to do this that way.

There were only a few instances that someone with prior experience in a recruit class may have been some benefit. Being in rope and knots, they helped out the ones that barely could tie their shoes laces.

Once you break them down like the USMC and get them thinking on your terms and procedures they learn a lot better. Most if not all pass and are certifiable.
              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

alright well thanks for all the info guys, ill start looking and by no means am i a know it all hotshot i always like some new info and experience when it comes to firefighting

Comment

Check in here. http://www.dfs.dps.mo.gov/dfstraining.htm

Comment

thanks for the link! now is all i need is my I and II or do i need more?

Comment

Originally posted by MissouriRebel11 View Post
                      thanks for the link! now is all i need is my I and II or do i need more?
                      You need to contact the folks at the link I provided for you.

They and only they can answer all your questions!!

Comment

MR11, I'm in the process of getting set up to apply to career departments. I just enrolled in school to get a fire science degree, and am awaiting a FF1 class to open up locally so I can get that out of the way. FFII classes almost never happen around here so I'm not even going to try, but I plan to have FFI, my Fire Science Degree, and EMT maybe Paramedic (if I can) before I apply, as I believe it will look good, and help me allot on the job.
                        Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X