cop or military cop training to boost fire carrer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cop or military cop training to boost fire carrer

Hey yall I got a question I work for a small department it’s all paid but still too small to make a career at. I’m in a pickle I love the fire service and it will defiantly be my career but before I get on at a big department I want to spend some time as a cop or at least trained as one cause we work with them so much I want to experience there side of our stories so my question is what do yall think is more beneficial to a career fire fighter to go to my states police training and get mandated or have military training if I do the military side I’m going to join the Air Force reserve as a cop. I’m already a EMT have a pretty good bit of haz mat training and I am also about half way through a Bachelors Degree in emergency management and homeland security. I’m a young guy only 21 years old and no obligations (no wife or kids) that would prevent me from doing either one I would so im covering my other bases to get hired and I would really appreciate advice from yall who have been in this a while and are wearing white hats but any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks and stay safe

Do they have reserve officers either state city or county, that you can do??

Would not go military

How about a different direction and get a fire protection engineer degree ????

Cops and firefighters have different mind sets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

yeah i know most cops and firemen do but in my department we got a couple guys who are certified cops and they are our arson investigators which im realy interested but why not military and thanks for your input

Comment

I think working as a reserve/part-time and finishing your education would be the best option. This would give you the opportunity to get your police training that you want and hold a second part-time job. Possibly pick up some community college classes in police science. I've taken Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Corrections, Criminology, and possibly might be taking Criminal Law and Procedure just to "round" my education and give me some background in different subjects to make me more marketable, and possibly provide me with a very reputable reference for my job search when it begins as I've taken all my classes with the same professor. (They are also free to me, so hey, why not take them)

Comment

What state are you in??

Comment

I caI'm in. GA I can get certified it'll just take some work but I'm leaning that way because i+ really interested in swat medic and arson investigation which I know you can do both with out being mandated but you can do more with it If you are mandated

Comment

I believe Cops and firefighters are cut from a different cloth. How are you going to defend your position in an oral board when you really, really have always wanted to be a firefighter and you went to the police academy? All you have to do is have one panel member not see it your way and you will not go forward in the hiring process.

Your best day is to use your EMT experience to get in the medic school, get some savvy street time on the box and you will increase your chances of getting hired.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
              http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

First, put down the iPhone and get off Twitter, Facebook and all social media. Take an English class and learn how to write complete sentences with paragraph breaks, grammar and punctuation. This is not one big text.

Second, finish that degree.

That said; Capt Bob nails it. You're either a firefighter or a cop. Quite often, you're a cop trying to be a firefighter.
                If you feel the need to be a cop; then go for it. You may actually like it better. You're 21 so you're young and may find PD may be your calling.

Good luck.

Comment

Is it in Georgia you have to be a peace officer to be an arson investigator,
                  Like in Texas???

And that is why you are looking at cop school??

Comment

No you don't have to be mandated but from what I can tell most of the guys who are investigatorsare already certified cops at least they are in my area

Comment

I am for all the training and education a person can get

I think where you are at you should finish your degree

Then see where you are at
                      I think you would not be happy joining the service just for police training

I would see if you still want to go to the police academy
                      It will help you if you get into investigations even if it is not require in your state

But will also more then likey add added continuing Ed classes to keep the certification

If you are still thinking about the service I would talk to a GOP in the service to see what they tell you about how it is in the service

Comment

I think your right I go to school online so its pretty easy for me to continue my education along with whatever other training i attend. But I have decided to do the non military police route I feel it will help me more and I will most certainly keep my certification up I wont lose it. I appreaciate the advice.

Comment

No mp!

Trust me dude, you do not want to be an MP. I am an infantryman (and we naturally hate each other) but I'm being Non-bias here. Every MP I've ever talked to more or less regrets becoming an MP. Of coarse, there is the exception to that, but I listen to the majority. If you do go become an MP, most of your days are going to be spent issuing tickets to people jay-walking and people going 2 MPH over the speed limit on post. Then you will deploy. There you will be running convoy security for large civilian convoys, unless you are a dog handler, then you will be going out with the infantry boys smelling out IEDs for them. Not much like being a patrolman, which I'm guessing is what you want.

In short, go with the previous advice the other members have given you. I will say that cops come from a different mold than firefighters do, and I would choose one or the other. Be a master of one trade.....not a jack of all trades in this instance.

Comment

Career Direction

In most cases, firefighters and cops are different breeds. Sure, there are some exceptions, but I will honestly say there are remarkable differences.

If you want to be a fire investigator, law enforcement experience will help. The bad thing is that firefighters resent cops and that could be determential to any firefighter career in the first place.

Its your call on what you want to do. Good luck on your endeavors!

Comment

There are some public safety agencies that swap between being cops and firefighters. The snide remarks are they can't fight fires or write tickets.

And the old story what do LA City Fire and Police have in common. They both wanted to be firefighters.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                              http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...