fire marshal investigator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire marshal investigator

Ok, here's the deal, The career path I think I want to persue is fire marshal investigator. I currently am on a vol fire dept, am halfway through my firefighter I class, have a Criminal Justice associate degree and am partway into a Fire science associate degree. What I'm wondering is what other kind of education or training I need for this field.
    I want to get my CFEI through the NAFI. I know I also need to be police academy certified
    Last edited by Christian1147; 10-07-2010, 11:43 PM.

Its a tough path to break in to. Don't plan on getting there out of the gate.

I've seen the career path deveop two ways:

1) Get hired as a full time fire fighter on a department with an investigation squad. Do your time in the trenches, take advantage of available training when it comes up and build a good reputation.

2) Get hired as a full time police officer on a department that conducts fire investigations. Do your time in the trenches, take advantage of available training, and build a good reputation for investigative work.

With enough experience in either one or two, you could also apply to a state fire marshal's office or other primary investigative agency.

The benefit of option #1 is that you learn a lot more about fire and its behaviors. You'll get the opportunity to work more fires and see more causes and origins.

The benefit of option #2 is that you learn more about running an investigation, criminal investigative techniques, and court procedures.

Fire fighters tend to need extra help on the criminal and evidence side of things and cops often need extra help on the fire science of things.

Comment

You could try the ATF also they have a pretty awesome fire investigation team.
      Last edited by jtucker1384; 10-07-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtucker1384 View Post
        You could try the DEA also they have a pretty awesome fire investigation team.
        I think you meant BATFE. They're the guys with the cool fire and explosion reconstructions teams. But yeah, that's an option. Although its a VERY competitive agency to get into.

Comment

sorry i meant ATF

Comment

I figured you knew what you meant. It gets confusing when you start dealing with all the alphabet soup agencies.

Comment

Yeah they all kinda run together. We had a fire they were involved in the investigation and I took a class they taught. I was really impressed.

Comment

If you ever get a chance to go out to New Mexico Tech and take the ATF's explosion reconstruction school, do it. Its one of the most amazing (and cool) classes out there. Plus you get to blow stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian1147 View Post
                  Ok, here's the deal, The career path I think I want to persue is fire marshal investigator. I currently am on a vol fire dept, am halfway through my firefighter I class, have a Criminal Justice associate degree and am partway into a Fire science associate degree. What I'm wondering is what other kind of education or training I need for this field.
                  I want to get my CFEI through the NAFI. I know I also need to be police academy certified
                  STOP posting this every where kid.

One place is enough!

You are just a rookie and will beuntil you have 10 years or more in the fire service.

Search: Posts Made By: Christian1147
                  Forum: Hiring & Employment Discussion Today, 09:36 PM
                  Replies: 2 Fire Marshal Investigator
                  Views: 18 Posted By Christian1147
                  Fire Marshal Investigator

I think the career i want to persue is Fire Marshal Investigator. Right now I am 21, I am on a vol fire dept, I am 1/2 way through my Fire I class, I have my Criminal Justice Associates degree, and...
                  Forum: Career Advancement Today, 09:18 PM
                  Replies: 8 fire marshal investigator
                  Views: 29 Posted By Christian1147

Ok, here's the deal, The career path I think I want to persue is fire marshal investigator. I currently am on a vol fire dept, am halfway through my firefighter I class, have a Criminal Justice...
                  Forum: Volunteer Forum 09-30-2010, 12:28 AM
                  Replies: 19 Donning PPE quicker.
                  Views: 702 Posted By Christian1147
                  I'll try to cut some time out for you. My advice...

I'll try to cut some time out for you. My advice is RELAX when donning. Don't lolligag, but do relax. When you're trying to fiddle with everything at the speed of light, your motions are erratic,...
                  Forum: Firefighters Forum 09-17-2010, 01:04 AM
                  Replies: 11 TNT Denver Tool Question??
                  Views: 493 Posted By Christian1147
                  Our Dept has a pair of these on our engine. We...

Our Dept has a pair of these on our engine. We must have a different weight than those of you who found it too heavy. I find the head has too little mass to get the necessary force behind the tool to...
                  Forum: Firefighters Forum 08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
                  Replies: 76 Weirdest call you've got?
                  Views: 3,841 Posted By Christian1147
                  Not mine, but worth sharing... My first day...

Not mine, but worth sharing...

My first day on my dept. I was talking to one of the more experienced EMTs who'd had a call the night before where a gentleman, not following proper gun holstering...
                  Forum: Fire Buffs' Firehouse 07-17-2010, 10:57 PM
                  Replies: 12 Would like some ideas for a table?
                  Views: 992 Posted By Christian1147
                  Since I'm a wood guy I'd make the legs and frame...

Since I'm a wood guy I'd make the legs and frame out of wood androute out a place to drop in the glass. For the less shop savvy,perhaps some simple 2x4 legs sheathed in hard suck hose?
                  Forum: Firefighters Forum 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
                  Replies: 6 Spray on fireproofing question
                  Views: 444 Posted By Christian1147
                  what these products do is char. Char in and of...

what these products do is char. Char in and of itself is protective of material under it, so if the char is protecting it, it doesn't burn and the flames don't spread.
                  Forum: Meet and Greet 07-16-2010, 02:55 AM
                  Replies: 1 new recruit in Ohio
                  Views: 167 Posted By Christian1147
                  new recruit in Ohio

Hey,guys, I'm Christian. I just joined a small VFD(about 600 EMS and fire calls/year) . I had to join a dept about 10-15 min from home b/c the VFD that's <3 min from my house wouldn't take me b/c...
                  Last edited by Jonnee; 10-08-2010, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
                    STOP posting this every where kid.

One place is enough!

You are just a rookie and will beuntil you have 10 years or more in the fire service.

Search: Posts Made By: Christian1147
                    Forum: Hiring & Employment Discussion Today, 09:36 PM
                    Replies: 2 Fire Marshal Investigator
                    Views: 18 Posted By Christian1147
                    Fire Marshal Investigator

I think the career i want to persue is Fire Marshal Investigator. Right now I am 21, I am on a vol fire dept, I am 1/2 way through my Fire I class, I have my Criminal Justice Associates degree, and...
                    Forum: Career Advancement Today, 09:18 PM
                    Replies: 8 fire marshal investigator
                    Views: 29 Posted By Christian1147

Ok, here's the deal, The career path I think I want to persue is fire marshal investigator. I currently am on a vol fire dept, am halfway through my firefighter I class, have a Criminal Justice...
                    Forum: Volunteer Forum 09-30-2010, 12:28 AM
                    Replies: 19 Donning PPE quicker.
                    Views: 702 Posted By Christian1147
                    I'll try to cut some time out for you. My advice...

I'll try to cut some time out for you. My advice is RELAX when donning. Don't lolligag, but do relax. When you're trying to fiddle with everything at the speed of light, your motions are erratic,...
                    Forum: Firefighters Forum 09-17-2010, 01:04 AM
                    Replies: 11 TNT Denver Tool Question??
                    Views: 493 Posted By Christian1147
                    Our Dept has a pair of these on our engine. We...

Our Dept has a pair of these on our engine. We must have a different weight than those of you who found it too heavy. I find the head has too little mass to get the necessary force behind the tool to...
                    Forum: Firefighters Forum 08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
                    Replies: 76 Weirdest call you've got?
                    Views: 3,841 Posted By Christian1147
                    Not mine, but worth sharing... My first day...

Not mine, but worth sharing...

My first day on my dept. I was talking to one of the more experienced EMTs who'd had a call the night before where a gentleman, not following proper gun holstering...
                    Forum: Fire Buffs' Firehouse 07-17-2010, 10:57 PM
                    Replies: 12 Would like some ideas for a table?
                    Views: 992 Posted By Christian1147
                    Since I'm a wood guy I'd make the legs and frame...

Since I'm a wood guy I'd make the legs and frame out of wood androute out a place to drop in the glass. For the less shop savvy,perhaps some simple 2x4 legs sheathed in hard suck hose?
                    Forum: Firefighters Forum 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
                    Replies: 6 Spray on fireproofing question
                    Views: 444 Posted By Christian1147
                    what these products do is char. Char in and of...

what these products do is char. Char in and of itself is protective of material under it, so if the char is protecting it, it doesn't burn and the flames don't spread.
                    Forum: Meet and Greet 07-16-2010, 02:55 AM
                    Replies: 1 new recruit in Ohio
                    Views: 167 Posted By Christian1147
                    new recruit in Ohio

Hey,guys, I'm Christian. I just joined a small VFD(about 600 EMS and fire calls/year) . I had to join a dept about 10-15 min from home b/c the VFD that's <3 min from my house wouldn't take me b/c...
                    I'm not surewhat stresses you have in your life which may cause you to be so irritated by my accidental double post, but I assure you it was purely unintentional. For that matter, wheterver your purpose for rehashing all of my previous legitimate posts is lost on me as well

Furthermore, yes, I am a rookie, and I have questions. I'm almost positive you were a rookie at one time, too, and there was information that you wanted regarding your career as well. I'm sure at that time that you asked a friendlier more helpful answer put a better taste in your mouth about the fire service. I would appriciate the same. Do unto others, my friend

Comment

Do not let age be a factor in getting training or looking for a specific position

It is easier and looks better to get the required training before a job comes open then it is to play catch up, or job says you need certain certs and you do not have them, and would take 6 or 12 months to get them and the job is gone!!!!!¡¡¡¡
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Some people think once you get hired you do not have to do any further education or training

Comment

Ask the questions. I for one will tell you to get a job as a firefighter, learn everything you can about the fire service, get certifications, training, fire operations and fire behavior and then if you still want to be an investigator or fire marshal, then go through the hoops and steps for that position.

In Virginia where I am, that certification is conducted and taught by the State Fire Marshal office and the Virginia Department of Fire Programs. Do a google search for that agancy and read what they have on this.

Plus it is very hard and if you do get certified you have police powers as well.

I don't know anyone, who had entered the investigator tract without being in a fire department or police department for at least 10 years or so. In other words, I don't think you are going to walk in the door as a investigator whithout and real live experience.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                            I don't think you are going to walk in the door as a investigator whithout and real live experience.

I didn't plan to

Comment

Go for all the training and education you can get!!!!!!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X