Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

McMurdo Fire Dept, Antarctica

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by ROGO43 View Post
    I just returned from McM on a PAE contract. I was making 1200 a week.
    Was that after taxes?

    Comment


    • #47
      They must have increased the pay cause when I was there last year I only brought home about 3,500.00 a month after taxs. And I claimed zero deductions.

      Comment


      • #48
        I was considering applying but I don't see 3,500 a month as worth it really. Not too much more than I make now...

        Comment


        • #49
          If you are going down for the money, look somewhere else. McMurdo isn't for people who want to make money. Most were retired or people wanting to go full time back home and were just using this as a stepping stone.

          The ice isn't for everyone. I know the pay increased, but if you want more money go to the sandbox.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by nwfire17 View Post
            Actually, you can get hired without experience. Not at all of the places out there (Iraq for one), but I worked in Antarctica with a few people who had no experience other than their academy. Naturally, they prefer people with experience, but as long as you have the minimum certs (for Raytheon these are: FF I, Hazmat Awareness, and EMT Basic), then you may get hired.
            Ok, now that PAE is the contractor, does anyone (who has gone through the hiring process with PAE) know how strict they are when it comes to what certifications you need? I have been watching what the requirements are for some time now and they have seemed to have changed this year. Before 2015 all you needed was FF I, FF II, Haz-Mat Ops, Aircraft Firefighter and EMT-B. Now as of 2015 you also need Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply. Does anyone know why Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply was added. I'm not familiar with what Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply is, could someone fill me in. It is just the normal pump operator course with EVOC?
            I was going to apply for the position, just had to wait another six month to fill the 6 year requirement for volunteers and now they add this to the list of requirements.

            Also does anyone know how competitive it is to actually get a firefighting position?
            Last edited by USCGFF; 01-16-2015, 01:42 AM.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by philfirerescue View Post
              If you are going down for the money, look somewhere else. McMurdo isn't for people who want to make money. Most were retired or people wanting to go full time back home and were just using this as a stepping stone.

              The ice isn't for everyone. I know the pay increased, but if you want more money go to the sandbox.
              I just want to go and say, hey, I have fought fires in Antartica. I have always wanted to go to Antartica for some time now and this seems like the perfect way to do it. Getting paid to fight fires in Antartica, a place almost nobody gets to go, sign me up.

              Comment


              • #52
                [QUOTE=USCGFF;1429303] I'm not familiar with what Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply is, could someone fill me in. It is just the normal pump operator course with EVOC?
                QUOTE]

                Driver/Operator Pumper and Driver/Operator Mobile Water Supply are two different certifications from the DOD. We had to do a different course for each. The pumper course involved your typical engine operations (pumping, drafting, driving...) and the mobile water supply course involved our water tender and more resupply operations, but still involved pumping, drafting and driving.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by USCGFF View Post
                  Ok, now that PAE is the contractor, does anyone (who has gone through the hiring process with PAE) know how strict they are when it comes to what certifications you need? I have been watching what the requirements are for some time now and they have seemed to have changed this year. Before 2015 all you needed was FF I, FF II, Haz-Mat Ops, Aircraft Firefighter and EMT-B. Now as of 2015 you also need Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply. Does anyone know why Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply was added. I'm not familiar with what Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply is, could someone fill me in. It is just the normal pump operator course with EVOC?
                  I was going to apply for the position, just had to wait another six month to fill the 6 year requirement for volunteers and now they add this to the list of requirements.

                  Also does anyone know how competitive it is to actually get a firefighting position?
                  Mobile Water Supply is Tanker Ops.

                  It's simply the tanker component of the DO/Pumper class.
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                    Mobile Water Supply is Tanker Ops.

                    It's simply the tanker component of the DO/Pumper class.
                    Thanks for the information!

                    Comment

                    300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                    Collapse

                    Upper 300x250

                    Collapse

                    Taboola

                    Collapse

                    Leader

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X