McMurdo Fire Dept, Antarctica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just happened to find this post

Strangely enough, I actually just stumbled across this post while I was applying for the McMurdo Fire Department.

Chief, I was just wanting to double check what you meant by the "online questions" in your post above.

I have the the resume and cover letter submitted, but I just wanted to be sure that I haven't missed a step. Are those questions simply the "job profile" and "login preferences" information?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Comment

On-Line Questions

These are the on-line questions I am referring to:

1. This position will deploy to Antarctica for a period of time. Are you willing to work in Antarctica?
      2. To be eligible for employment with the Polar Services Program in a position that deploys to Antarctica, candidates must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or be a citizen or a residence permit holder of New Zealand. Do you meet this requirement?
      3. Do you have a High school diploma or equivalent?
      4. Do you currently have your Firefighter I certification?
      5. Do you currently have your EMT-B (or higher) certification?
      6. Do you currently have Hazardous Materials First Responder certification?
      7. Do you have at least two years of firefighter experience?
      8. Did you read the description and the requirements for this position, and do you agree that you have the basic qualifications?

These questions should be on the RayJobs site at the same place where you "attach" your resume.

Our fire recruiter is Ms. Audra Ader. Contact her if you have any RayJobs hiring questions. The web based hiring system can be a bit daunting so follow-up if you are not sure...You should be getting an auto-rply e-mail if you have accessed the system correctly.
      E-mail, [email protected]
      1-800-688-8606 ext 32163
      1-720-568-2163

Chief Lawler

Comment

on-line process - refinement

Hey I am new here as well and offer some additional detail.

Do this:
        Step-1: Set-up a RayJobs account and attach/post your resume
        Step-2: Find the "Button" to search for jobs. In the key words field type in firefighter or type in the requisition number for a position you’re interested in and qualified for. You submit for each category separately, e.g. fire captain, fire lt, firefighter, and dispatcher etc. I posted the requisition numbers earlier in this thread. Open the job, you will see a job description, click apply to this job and the questions will become visible. Complete your questions and enter submit.

Chief Lawler

Comment

mslchief: Question... Does the two years of firefighting experience only count for career firefighting or does volunteer count too?

EDIT: Please don't start a volly vs. career argument.

Comment

Originally posted by FireWA1 View Post
            mslchief: Question... Does the two years of firefighting experience only count for career firefighting or does volunteer count too?

EDIT: Please don't start a volly vs. career argument.
            FireWA1: Volunteer time counts. Volunteers are the backbone of the American fire service.

MSLChief

Comment

help

cant find any firefighter jobs listed even with number

Comment

They should have already completed the hiring for this year. They usually start the hiring process in January for the upcoming summer season which starts in August/October.

Comment

experience necessary?

I'm straight out of the academy. Is it possible to get a contract job without having any experience?

Comment

Originally posted by johnsmeltz View Post
                    I'm straight out of the academy. Is it possible to get a contract job without having any experience?
                    Nope, you need exp.

Comment

Actually, you can get hired without experience. Not at all of the places out there (Iraq for one), but I worked in Antarctica with a few people who had no experience other than their academy. Naturally, they prefer people with experience, but as long as you have the minimum certs (for Raytheon these are: FF I, Hazmat Awareness, and EMT Basic), then you may get hired.

Comment

What kind of salaries are they paying for the different positions?

Comment

down under

Nickles and dimes the pay is not like iraq
                          Bestdes you can not clame tax free status so it is really not a huge pay package.

Comment

Hiring for Antarctic FD begins 1 March 2010

I just finished my first season on the "ICE". It is certainly not for everyone!! McMurdo is a rugged town, limited activity and if our fire prevention and public education maintain their health, a very low fire rate. Not a lot of exciting fire calls for the more junior firefighters. Airfield ARFF services are a major component of the department services. We have upgraded the PD's to better match industry standards. Previously we only had PD's which were essentially apprentice F/F/ level. Now add are journeymen level PD's. The kick-off for hiring happens on 1 March, 2010 when Rayjobs web-site will open and allow a job search. For more details visit the DoDFire website and open the jobs button on the left. The information sheet is not posted there yet but should be up sometime next week.

Vr,

Mark S. Lawler, Fire Chief, AFD

Fire Captain-I TSC116357 Firefighter-II TSC116673
                            Fire Captain-II TSC116676 Dispatcher TSC116206
                            Fire Lieutenant I TSC116252 Dispatch Supervisor TSC116250
                            Fire Lieutenant II TSC116675Fire Equipment Repair Technician TSC116286
                            Firefighter I TSC116248

Comment

Antarctic job open now!!

Antarctic Fire Department,
                              Raytheon Polar Services
                              Recruitment for:
                              Firefighters - Req # 3200BR
                              Lieutenants - Req # 3202BR Go to: http//www.rayjobs.com/ to apply
                              Captains - Req # 3109BR

- Personnel needed now for the upcoming season.
                              -- Departure from USA on or about 8 October 2010
                              -- Return from McMurdo on or about 20 February 2011

Minimum requirements: Experience + Certifications (IFSAC, Pro Board or State Certified)

Firefighter: 3 years pervious full time firefighting experience, two years volunteer or paid-on call experience equals one year full time experience.

- Firefighter-II
                              - HazMat Operations
                              - Airport Firefighter
                              - EMT-B
                              - NIMS ICS 100 & 200

Lieutenant: 4 years pervious full time firefighting experience, two years volunteer or paid-on call experience equals one year full time experience. At least one year of experience as a supervisor is required.

- Fire Officer-I
                              - HazMat Operations
                              - Airport Firefighter
                              - EMT-B
                              - NIMS ICS 100 & 200

Captain: 4 years of diversified full time firefighting experience, including incident command and fire administration, two years volunteer or paid-on call experience equals one year full time experience. At least one year of experience as a supervisor is required.

- Fire Officer-II
                              - HazMat IC
                              - Airport Firefighter
                              - EMT-B
                              - NIMS ICS 100 & 200

Contact: Audra Ader for specific details at 720-568- 2163, or 800-688-8606, extension 32163

Comment

Pay info please

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...