Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Waiting game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact Kris about the CPR class after you get your final acceptance letter. I would also wait to send the passport and all the paperwork in at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by peterbound View Post
      Contact Kris about the CPR class after you get your final acceptance letter. I would also wait to send the passport and all the paperwork in at the same time.
      Peterbound,
      Thanks for the info about the CPR class; I just sent an email to Kris about it. And thanks for the advice about waiting to send the "Offer Letter" and the signed "Offer Letter" until I get my passport. That’s what I planned on doing all along. I wanted to make sure I did the right thing, and not screw anything up. I am really stoked and excited about this opportunity, and I just really want to go, and as soon as possible. My ARFF School is next week; I am really stoked about that too!
      I was wondering though, I know the ARFF Firefighter certification and the ARFF Driver Operator certification will help me with any DOD firefighting jobs I apply for when I get back. But will working overseas, in Iraq, help me, or look good on my resume when I apply for DOD firefighting jobs when I get back? I know having experience is something I always need, but do you think putting it on my resume will help me get hired? Will my experience in Iraq help me to stand out above the rest of the applicants?

Comment

Originally posted by CAFireman View Post
        Peterbound,
        Thanks for the info about the CPR class; I just sent an email to Kris about it. And thanks for the advice about waiting to send the "Offer Letter" and the signed "Offer Letter" until I get my passport. That’s what I planned on doing all along. I wanted to make sure I did the right thing, and not screw anything up. I am really stoked and excited about this opportunity, and I just really want to go, and as soon as possible. My ARFF School is next week; I am really stoked about that too!
        I was wondering though, I know the ARFF Firefighter certification and the ARFF Driver Operator certification will help me with any DOD firefighting jobs I apply for when I get back. But will working overseas, in Iraq, help me, or look good on my resume when I apply for DOD firefighting jobs when I get back? I know having experience is something I always need, but do you think putting it on my resume will help me get hired? Will my experience in Iraq help me to stand out above the rest of the applicants?
        Nope, if anything it might hurt you.

And don't expect to get ARFF over there, unless somethings changed they don't offer it in country.

Comment

Hey guys just got off the phone with my states rep office and they contacted the passport office yesterday and had it expedited. It's already in the mail and I should have it in the next couple days. Just wanted to put this information out there because it could probably help quite a few people that are just waiting on their passports. I was pretty skeptical about this but glad that it worked. Thanks to all of you who have shared info and advice on this thread its been real helpful. If anyone has insight on typically how long it takes to get that second packet that would be great too. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by peterbound View Post
            Nope, if anything it might hurt you.

And don't expect to get ARFF over there, unless somethings changed they don't offer it in country.
            Why would it hurt me? Is it something that is looked down on? And why would doing something like going overseas hurt me for getting another DOD firefighting job?

I am getting my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator next week at the Alabama Fire College.

Comment

Originally posted by CAFireman View Post
              Why would it hurt me? Is it something that is looked down on? And why would doing something like going overseas hurt me for getting another DOD firefighting job?

I am getting my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator next week at the Alabama Fire College.
              As far as a DOD position you should be alright, especially if you're prior military or reserved, or leaving that position. As far as local municipalities, they kinda frown on it. Some see it as you go overseas to make big $$$, kinda like selling out. They don't understand that people may go over there to make big $$ to pay off alot of debt and start over. Not everywhere is like that though. I think it has hurt me a little bit with some job tryouts since I've been back. But that is my two cents on it.

Comment

Many civilian fire chiefs are former AF fire chiefs

These Chiefs hate.. HATE contractors.

Typically to make Chief you need to have manned a station as an FA as a SMSgt clicking the Chief box. Contractors are making it hard to do that.

When they review your resume they tend to remember this painful fact.

Comment

Originally posted by jwaskow View Post
                  As far as a DOD position you should be alright, especially if you're prior military or reserved, or leaving that position. As far as local municipalities, they kinda frown on it. Some see it as you go overseas to make big $$$, kinda like selling out. They don't understand that people may go over there to make big $$ to pay off alot of debt and start over. Not everywhere is like that though. I think it has hurt me a little bit with some job tryouts since I've been back. But that is my two cents on it.
                  Yea, I plan on trying to get back into the DOD system when I get back. I am prior active duty Navy; I am in the Reserve right now. When and if I go over there I’m going to have to go IRR, and then try to get back in when I get back. Yea I’m going over there for the money, why not, and the experience. With the money I could make over there, I will be able to get myself out of debt and help rebuild my credit, I will be able to buy me self a new Toyota Tacoma, and I will have put a good chunk of money away in my savings. Plus, when I get back I might to back to the Alabama Fire College to get my Driver Operator Pumper, Aerial, MWS, my HazMat Tech, and a few others. So I can help better qualify myself for any DOD job I apply for.

I was wondering Peterbound, what do contractors do to make Chiefs hate them? Also, what were you trying to say when you said: "Typically to make Chief you need to have manned a station as an FA as a SMSgt clicking the Chief box. Contractors are making it hard to do that."? What does FA mean, it obviously is an Air Force acronym?

Comment

Depending on WSI's needs they sometimes offer the ARFF course or as I call it the Airport Firefighter course in Houston.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X